32° East in partnership with the FOTEA Foundation is pleased to announce “It’s Open”, a complementary photography project for the lead up to #KLAART21. Tying in with KLA ART’s theme, #ThisIsOurs, 'It’s Open' plays with the notion of an open call and invites everyone to participate in the festival and respond to the festival theme through photography. KLA ART has always centred non-traditional audiences, and with It’s Open pushes for non-traditional artists as well, asking the public to become both art-makers and art viewers, and join our commissioned artists in reflecting on our relationship to ownership; of our identities, our city, our environment, our past, and our future.
This is an open call to all. The final selection of images will be part of an exhibition in June. For the next month we call upon you to explore through photography and imagery what ownership means to you and share with us via social media using the project hashtag #ItsOpen and #ThisIsOurs #KLAART21.
It’s Open strives to be as interactive and as inclusive as possible to blur boundaries between audience and artist.
So how can you participate?
1. You can submit images via this google form or either via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Please note that since we’re hoping to have the images printed, take images in the highest resolution/quality possible. Should you be submitting via Instagram please keep the original image as Instagram compresses images and they lose quality.
2. The contest is restricted to residents of Uganda, 18 years of age or older.
3. Entry into this challenge is free and entrants can submit as many photos as they wish.
4. The images that will make it into the exhibition will be chosen by the team including both 32° East and FOTEA members.
5. There will be a small stipend that will be awarded for each of the images that will make it into the exhibition.
6. By entering this challenge the photographer confirms that they are the original author of the image(s) and that they own the rights to all the images they enter, or if they are an employee of a media organization they have all necessary permissions from their organization.
7. Furthermore, participation in this challenge grants 32° East and FOTEA Foundation permission to print any of the images for use in the exhibition as well as for promotional use for the project.
8. You retain all copyright to any image you submit in this challenge.
9. Employees of 32° East and FOTEA Foundation are barred from participating in the challenge.
- Only photographs in digital form will be accepted. There should be no watermarks, identifying marks or names of authors written on the photographs.
- You can take pictures with either a camera or your phone. We urge that you take them in high resolution to enable printing. If you check in your camera settings you’ll get options for image size, select any options with over 3000px on the long side. And if shared on social media please keep the original unedited copy.